Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan (Part 3)
Phangan Island Full Moon Party | Koh Phangan nightlife
Part 3 of the Full Moon Party overview.
The Full Moon Party And What To Expect
Full Moon Party Dates 2014
Full Moon Party Dates 2015
Christmas and New Year Special Dates
Main Full Moon Party Venues on Haad Rin
Full Moon Party - Start Time
When it ends
Getting to Haad Rin and Back
Top 10 things to know for a Full Moon Party
When to Go
Getting to the Full Moon Party couldn't be simpler, no matter where on the island you stay the resort staff will organise transport to Haad Rin. They can also arrange return transport but it's best to organise that yourself, finding transport from Haad Rin is not a problem no matter how early or late you decide to return.
If you decide to stay in Haad Rin itself then transport isn't a problem, however even with a great expansion of accommodation in Haad Rin almost all the resorts will only accept bookings that check in a few days before the Full Moon with a minimum length of stay. The reason for this is simple. The day before and the day of the Full Moon Haad Rin is swamped with visitors, room rates have been known to double and triple because of such high demand. See our Phangan Resort Guide on how to select the best place to stay on Koh Phangan.
- 3,000THB is often more than enough to see you through to the next day. It's recommended to take only 100THB and 500THB notes so you can split your money into different pockets to reduce loss at the bar. Also for some unknown reason vendors never have change for a 1000THB note.
- You should take a copy of your ID with you (not your original). It's Thai law that everyone has ID on them at all times.
- Don't be tempted to take a bag. If you can put it down, you can also forget it. Especially after several buckets! If you take a camera or phone keep it attached to you at all times.
- Shoes – always wear shoes! Everyone knows a party is not a party until someone breaks something. With thousands of people there always the risk of a broken bottle in the sand.
- Protect yourself from the sun. If you manage to make it to the morning the sun comes up fast and gets hot quickly. Have something to cover up or bring a small bottle of sun cream.
- If you are wearing the neon paint that's very popular, it's worth knowing that in the morning you will tan around the paint, leaving a light patch of the original design. Quite funny if it's not you!
- Re-hydrate yourself throughout the party. (It takes the body about 2 hours to feel thirsty when your de-hydrated, if you re-hydrate only when you feel thirsty you are two hours behind your body's needs). Alcohol doesn't count!
- Don't accept drinks from people you don't know, 9 times out of 10 it's probably not a problem but since drinks are cheap it's best not to take any chances.
- Unless you plan on not sleeping for the duration of the Full Moon Party you should not stay in Haad Rin. The music is loud and they won't turn it down for you!
- Keep away from Drugs - Thai laws are very strict and Police have zero tolerance no matter what anyone might tell you.
MOST importantly have fun, make friends and dance dance dance!
With the Full Moon Party running all year round there's every opportunity to join the party. With Koh Phangan being in the Gulf of Thailand it's monsoon season runs from September to November. Although it's worth pointing out that monsoon season doesn't mean it rains all the time, it basically differentiates from the other seasons where it hardly rains at all. See our Phangan weather page for more information.
Rain or not the Full Moon Party continues at the same frantic pace, it's always warm and actually really refreshing, if you've not been to a Full Moon Party in the rain, you should! So regarding when the best time to go is, basically when you're coming to Thailand plan to go! Book ahead to get the place you want, get there a few days early at least and plan to leave a few days after (you'll need the rest).
Koh Phangan has loads more to offer besides the Full Moon Party, there's Half Moon Parties, Black Moon Parties and every other activity you can imagine from Elephant Trekking to Jungle Paintball, SCUBA Diving to Wake boarding. See our Phangan activities guide for more ideas before you plan your visit to Koh Phangan.
Last Updated: 19 Feb 2014